Suggest treatment for charley horse in the left calf muscles

Dr. Kathy Robinson

Posted on Mon, 22 Aug 2016 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Well Iam 53 a runner daily and had a Charly Horse Friday while in a lake on a tube and went to step out in deep water and got a Charly horse left calf however its sunday and till sore ?
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
muscle spasms

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for your question.
Charley horses are muscle spasms and in severe spasms you can have pain that lasts for a week or more.
Warm compresses, anti-inflammatory medication like motrin and gentle stretches may help it resolve more quickly.
Here are some things that may help prevent spasms in the future:
Regular stretching before and after running
Taking a multivitamin daily
Staying well hydrated and avoiding caffeine and alcohol
Taking a magnesium supplement
I hope you get some relief soon.
Let me know if you hav further questions
Dr. Robinson