Suggest treatment for changes in bowel movement and shortness of breath

Dr. Rishu Saxena

Cardiologist

Posted on Mon, 13 Mar 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Thanks
I am 60 Male, history of DVT, hypertension, and also on large doses of nueroleptic drugs to regulate bi-polar II. The diagnosis is genetic blood disorder overly prone to clotting, take blood thinners, beta blockers and diuretics. Father history of angina- heart disesase at 63 and mother congestive heart failure at 90.

I m very concerned as to a recent change in the bowel movements, first constipated, change in appearance and regularity of stool. The worst is the 3-4 week onset of severe daily sweating, cold, greasy, intense, head and shoulders, back, torso, heavy ammonia smell, an increase in the shortness of breath, minor angina symptoms pain in left bicep. Patient has a 30 year history of alcohol, nicotine and obese at 290 while 6' 4", largest I have ever been. General discomfort, Really out of shape. I am worried about heart disease and cirrihotic or fatty liver-- Very concerned, and I need to get a colonoscopy. Many polyps have appeared in groin, armpits. What should I do?
Answered by Dr. Rishu Saxena 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Detailed investigations to be done to rule out embolism and coronary diseas

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for choosing HCM for your query,
A patient with history of DVT, hypertension,genetic blood disorder overly prone to clotting, on blood thinners when presents with symptoms of severe sweating associated with breathlessness and angina.A cardiology consultation should be done immediately.
I would suggest you to go for some of the baseline tests of cardiology like
Stress test-A standard exercise stress test uses an EKG (electrocardiogram) to monitor changes in your heart's electrical activity. Imaging stress tests take pictures of blood flow in various parts of your heart.Abnormal test results may be due to coronary heart disease.
2D echo-Echo test or echocardiography is a diagnostic procedure with which you can determine the systolic and dystolic function of the heart (in layman words: What is the efficiency of the pump). In addition, we can also check the heart valves and can diagnose stenosis or insufficiency. Last but not least, with echo we can see if there is fluid around the heart.It will also rule out chances of pulmonary embolism.
Lipid profile
Fasting and PP blood sugar.
Ultras sound abdomen.
Follow up with reports.
These testrs should initially be done before giving any further suggestions.
Thanks.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D