• question-icon

Suggest treatment for cervical spondylosis

Posted on Wed, 5 Jul 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: A about a month ago I turned my head and experienced a twinge type pain on the left side of my neck. As the evening went on it radiated into my shoulder and across my upper back. It is now concentrated at the base of my skull and I have a headache that goes from the base to the top of my head. I have tried cold compresses, moist heat, and I have a pain therapy machine that delivers a pulse type massage and heat. It feels like a stiff neck most of the time with a headache,
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
cervical spondylosis.

Detailed Answer:
Stiff neck with headache is suggestive of a nerve root compression at the cervical vertebral level due to degenerative disc changes or cervical spondylosis. It happens primarily due to degenerative changes secondary to age in the cervical spine. Past neck injury may also contribute to the degeneration.

X-ray of neck in lateral view or MRI will help in the diagnosis.

Treatment includes
1. Use of cervical collar helps in immobilisation and brings relief.
2. Medical drugs like pain killers - acetaminophen/ibuprofen and muscle relaxants might be helpful.
3. Methylcobalamin supplements are also recommended for nerve compression symptoms.
4. Cervical isometric exercises are beneficial to maintain the strength of the neck muscles. Neck and upper back stretching exercises, as well as light aerobic activities, also are recommended under the guidance of a physical therapist.
5. Hot fomentation helps in relieving acute symptoms.
6. You can avoid using a pillow.

As you try these measures, I also encourage you to consult an orthopedician for both evaluation and to avail stronger prescription medications (if over the counter medications are not helpful).
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon