Suggest treatment for cervical spondylosis
Can you explain this to me and suggest what I can do to deal with this situation? What exercises? Also - what type of mattress and pillow do you suggest?
Due to Cervical Spondylosis
Thanks for posting your query.
The description you have given above goes with Cervical Spondylosis.
You have features of Disc Prolapse at C4-C5 and C6-C7 levels with moderately severe compromise of neural foramen. This causes a nerve root compression causing the symptoms.
Usually, the spinal cord and nerve roots are protected within the spinal canal. The spinal canal is guarded by the vertebrae which separated from one another by a cushion like intervertebral discs. With age, degenerative changes occur which leads to disc prolapse and spinal cord/nerve root compression.
1. Use of cervical collar helps in immobilisation and brings relief.
2. Medical drugs like pain killers - acetaminophen/ibuprofen and muscle relaxants might be helpful.
3. Methylcobalamin supplements are also recommended for nerve compression symptoms.
4. Cervical isometric exercises are beneficial to maintain the strength of the neck muscles. Neck and upper back stretching exercises, as well as light aerobic activities, also are recommended under the guidance of a physical therapist.
5. Hot fomentation helps in relieving acute symptoms.
6. You can avoid using a pillow.
You can use a firm cotton mattress that will provide a good back support.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Suggest excersises for cervical spondylosis
- Homeopathic treatment for cervical spondylosis
- What is the treatment for vertigo and cervical spondylosis
- What is the treatment for cervical spondylosis
- Treatment and cure for cervical spondylosis
- Treatment and cure for independent cervical spondylosis
- Treatment and cure for degenerative cervical spondylosis
- Treatment and cure for multilevel cervical spondylosis
- Treatment of cervical spondylosis
- Treatment and cure for chronic cervical spondylosis
- Can spinal stenosis cause joints pain and swollen ankle, thighs and knees?
- Having lower back pain with tickling and pulsating sensation. What could...
- MRI of knee showed occult displaced fracture. What is it and what is the...
- What is the cause and treatment for painful knee with walking difficulty?
- Having ump into superclavical. What could the long tube feeling be?
- MRI findings show posterior disc bulges at L5-S1 and L4-5 levels....
- MRI scan shows Lumbar spondylosis. Suggest
- What causes pain in left groin and lower back and how can it be treated?
- Had MRI scan of right ankle and prescribed with zyloric for reduction of...
- What would be the cause of sudden neck pain on one side?