Suggest treatment for cervical spine injury

Posted on Wed, 5 Mar 2014 in Brain and Spine
Question: I was working yesterday,turned my head fast and felt a pop in my neck.Severe headache at base of skull,neck pain,numbness into fingertips,and weak arm muscles.Nauseated from pain some dizziness and double vision.i did sustain a severe neck injury in 2010 while skiing along with a concussion.Placed in Miami j collar,PT,pain meds,still with double vision when I look to the side.My neurologist said that is permenant due to tearing of myelin sheath.After this happened yesterday I have blurred,double vision.Tried ice,heat,Motrin and even put c-collar on for comfort.During ski accident I sustained cervical cord contusion in which had no arm reflexes! Now what? I'm scared!!
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Nerve injury likely. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. It seems that you have re injured your cervical spine. Since there is an associated blurring of vision and numbness of the fingers a nerve injury is likely. You should do following to have relief - -At least have an x ray of cervical spine. Best will be to have a MRI of spine. -Wear a cervical collar. This will at least give rest to your strained muscles. -Avoid bending your neck at abnormal position for long time, like on computer. -Do warm water fomentation with help of water bag over your neck. -Take a good analgesic like combination of tramadol with paracetamol. -Test for levels of vitamin B12, If low do take Vitamin B12 supplements. -Take help of a physiothearpist .He will be able to give your relief by intermittent traction, ultrasonic therapy etc. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
I guess I will see a doctor.Last injury I was out of work for 8 months and couldn't even drive.I am an RN in a busy ER and figured that was the answer! Thank You.. Still concerned about double vision,very hard while on computer charting at work! My arm muscles are so atrophied from last injury! No more skiing for me but I must work! Wish you had a crystal ball and could tell me the down time this time! I'm miserable despite Motrin,ice,heat,c-collar! Even saw double cars in rear view mirror driving home after incident yesterday! Scary!! Don't think it's serious do you? Time heals all right! Thank you for your proffesional opinion.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Not serious. Detailed Answer: Hello. Thanks for writing again. The problem you have is not likely to be very serious. The double vision will gradually improve with time. It will take 2-3 weeks for you to recover. Till then avoid driving and take rest without a pillow. Hope my answer is helpful. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon