Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
164 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

Suggest treatment for cervical rib

Answered by
Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Practicing since :1994

Answered : 12001 Questions

Posted on Mon, 12 Sep 2016 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I have Bilateral Cervical Ribs. what is the permanent solution of this problem?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for posting your query.
A cervical rib in humans is an extra rib which arises from the seventh cervical vertebra. Sometimes known as "neck ribs", their presence is a congenital abnormality located above the normal first rib.Your brachial plexus (a group of nerves that pass from the neck to the arm) and your subclavian artery and vein pass through the thoracic outlet. Thoracic outlet syndrome can occur when one or more of these structures is squashed (compressed) in the thoracic outlet. A cervical rib can sometimes cause this compression. Compression of the brachial plexus nerves is most common. This can cause pain and pins and needles in your arm on the affected side. Treatment can include painkillers, physiotherapy and sometimes surgery to relieve the compression caused by a cervical rib.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Priyanka G Raj
Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 23 minutes later
Thank you very much for your kind response.
I done online search about this problem and guaicum, lachnanthes and cimicfuga type of medicine are mention for this problem. Are these medicine act as painkiller?
and should I take these. Or you can mention suitable medicine for me.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing again.
All of three are herbal or homeopathic medicines and their role is not certain ,you can take muscle relaxant like thiocholchicoside as pain killer otherwise surgery is only permanent solution.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,  
Treatment/Therapy ,  
Medical Topics ,   ,  

Recent questions on  Homeopathic

doctor1 MD

I am suffering from irritable bowl syndrome since from last 9 years .I was taken treatment from gastroenterologist for 8 yeras and for last one...

doctor1 MD

I am 30 yr old and having contipation problem since 6 months.i was taking homeopathic medicines and got relief but now when i left taking those...

doctor1 MD

hi,i'm having pain when stool coming out and my doc.has been given refzil-o tab,enzoflame tab and cremaffin plus syrup.And he also recommend to...

doctor1 MD

Hello Dr I have diabetes and cholesterol Gerd and ibs Urethal stenosis. I pass slow urine or sometimes it gets blocked. Sometimes it is normal. Dr...

doctor1 MD

Hi, My niece is 4.5 months old. She constantly rubs her eyes throughout the day owing to which her eyelids turn red . 1) do we need to consult an...

doctor1 MD

Hello there, my daughter is 3 years 8 months. She doesn't Paas the motion for 4-5 days. Doctors have given Lexopeg FC 5 bottles in 8 months. We...

doctor1 MD

good morning doctor, my son is 3 years old, from childwood he is having cold and chest conggetion, and he used to get high fever it gone up to 105,...