Suggest treatment for cervical rib

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 12 Sep 2016 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I have Bilateral Cervical Ribs. what is the permanent solution of this problem?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
PERMANENT TREATMENT NEEDS SURGERY.

Detailed Answer:
A cervical rib in humans is an extra rib which arises from the seventh cervical vertebra. Sometimes known as "neck ribs", their presence is a congenital abnormality located above the normal first rib.Your brachial plexus (a group of nerves that pass from the neck to the arm) and your subclavian artery and vein pass through the thoracic outlet. Thoracic outlet syndrome can occur when one or more of these structures is squashed (compressed) in the thoracic outlet. A cervical rib can sometimes cause this compression. Compression of the brachial plexus nerves is most common. This can cause pain and pins and needles in your arm on the affected side. Treatment can include painkillers, physiotherapy and sometimes surgery to relieve the compression caused by a cervical rib.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Priyanka G Raj
Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 23 minutes later
Thank you very much for your kind response.
I done online search about this problem and guaicum, lachnanthes and cimicfuga type of medicine are mention for this problem. Are these medicine act as painkiller?
and should I take these. Or you can mention suitable medicine for me.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Welcome.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
All of three are herbal or homeopathic medicines and their role is not certain ,you can take muscle relaxant like thiocholchicoside as pain killer otherwise surgery is only permanent solution.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng