Suggest treatment for cervical radiculopathy with numbness in hand

Posted on Tue, 16 Jun 2015 in General Health
Question: I have a shoulder that clicks when I walk. The muscles around my shoulder area are so tight that I cannot bring my shoulder to the ground like my other side when lying on my back. I am in constant pain and am currently getting deep massage weekly to ease the pain. I have cervical radiculopathy and have numbness in my left hand and pain in my left forearm which accompanies this shoulder pain. Last year latissimus dorsi muscle in my back began spasming and I was in constant pain only relieved finally by neurontin. I took myself off the neurontin and now my neck, shoulder, arm and hand pain is beginning. What should I do next?
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Immediate re-evaluation from neurologist is advised...

Detailed Answer:
Hi my dear,

I am sorry for the situation you are going through.

1. You are reporting to have a personal history of cervical radiculopathy with numbness in your left hand and pain in your left forearm associated with shoulder pain.

2. You have been treating with neurontin which have already took yourself off.

3. Now, the shoulder pain is coming back with shoulder clicking while walking and stiffed muscles around your shoulder area. All these are signs of relapsing radiculopathy.

I highly advise to consult with your neurologist again and run an X-ray of shoulder area to evaluate the changes there.

4. For the moment, I advise to:
- take OTC anti-inflammatory medications orally
- apply analgesic cream locally
- apply heating pads locally
- continue massaging the affected area

Hope it was of help!
Dr.Albana
Dr. Albana Sejdini