Suggest treatment for cellulitis with fever

Dr. Shoaib Khan

Posted on Mon, 2 Nov 2015 in Infections
Question: My husband was treated for cellulitis and has beebread taking bactrim....the infection on his thigh is better ,but today he is very tired and running a slight fever .We are supposed to go on a 10 day cruise tomorrow.I want him to go back to the doctor and am getting nowhere!
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
He may require intravenous administration of antibiotics

Detailed Answer:
Hello ma'am and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help. I can understand how you feel, and a few cases of cellulitis can be a little resistant. The treatment regimen prepares us for it in advance; the first approach to treating cellulitis is an oral antibiotic course lasting about 7-14 days. If this does not help the individual, then the patient may require hospitalisation and intravenous administration of antibiotics.

I would recommend the same for your husband ma'am, this is important and so I would appreciate it if you can visit a doctor and request for this, and also postpone the cruise by a week or so, in order to help your husband recover rapidly and completely.

I hope this helps you. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help you.

Best wishes.