Suggest treatment for cellulitis on foot

Posted on Tue, 16 Jun 2015 in Infections
Question: HI, I was diagnosed with cellulitis in my foot last Monday night and the ER doctor put me on oral antibiotics every six hours, after five days, I only see minimal, if any improvement. I have an appointment with my primary care doctor on Tuesday. Do you think antibiotics by IV mighe help?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
More informations is needed

Detailed Answer:
Hello.

Thank you for the query.

Can you please attach a photo of your foot? What antibiotic do you take? Do you have fever? Any calf pain?

IV antibiotics do not have to work better than oral. It is possible that you do not respond to this particular antibiotic and another one is necessary.

Or your diagnosis is incorrect.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 6 minutes later
I am sorry I do not have the capability to attach a photo, suffice it to say that the area is red, swollen, warm, and tender to the touch. The antibiotic he prescribed is Cephalexin, 500 MG every six hours. I do not have any calf pain, (he checked for that in the ER, but I do have some sweats, especially at night.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Cephalexin is not the best choice.

Detailed Answer:
Cephalexin is not the best choice. Tissues inflammation can be a serious condition. It sometimes need to be incised to decrease the tissues pressure. That is why intense treatment is necessary.
If you find this antibiotic ineffective, please try to consult general surgeon. He should decide if another antibiotic is necessary (like Clindamicine 300 mgs 3x1).

You should also put your foot higher when lying down (put a pillow under it).

Hope this will help.
Regards.
Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon