Suggest treatment for cellulitis in the lower leg

Dr. Kathy Robinson

Posted on Mon, 7 May 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I have been taking Doxycycline, 100mg twice a day for 2 1/2 weeks for a cellulitis in the lower leg of unknown origin. Ultrasounds for DVT were negative, but skin remains mildly sensitive and slightly red. Is there a risk of a particular bacteria developing resistance to the antibiotic by continuing the doxycycline ?
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
not necessarily

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for your question.
There is always a slight risk of resistance when antibiotics are taken not usually this occurs when more is taken than is needed for treating the infection.
If the infection were getting worse then changing the antibiotic might be recommended. However, if it is just slow to clear up, that is pretty typical for cellulitis and a longer course may just be needed to get rid of the infection. Make sure to take some probiotics when you get off the antibiotics to restore the normal bacteria in your gut
Dr. Robinson