• question-icon

Suggest treatment for cellulitis and tooth abscess

Posted on Mon, 24 Jul 2017 in Dental Health
Question: I've recently had a bad abscessed tooth resulting in cellulitis and extraction - done - everything fine.
I will be having extensive dental work over the next few months and question whether it is prudent to have it done when experiencing a UTI and/or yeast infection.
Answered by Dr. Geeta Sundar 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
advisable to get rid of any infection in the body before dental procedure

Detailed Answer:
Hi welcome to Health care magic, Good question.
It is always advisable to get rid of any infection in the body before undergoing dental procedures that are notorious for an infective nidus forming deep in the root.

Get your fungal and urinary infection properly treated and when all clear---yeast cleared, and urine test normal----undergo the dental procedures.

You may need a urine culture and specific drugs according to sensitivity, and something like Fluconazole for your yeast infection.
Please consult your PCP for this--

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Geeta Sundar 31 minutes later
To compound things I have a fistula from one bad tooth and resulting toothache, headache and facial pain! I'm in a Catch-22 situation.
Answered by Dr. Geeta Sundar 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
take a course of antibiotics and anti inflammatory drugs for two days

Detailed Answer:
OK, then I would suggest take a course of antibiotics and anti inflammatory drugs for two days and take Fluconazole 150 one dose for the yeast, undergo dental procedure, and then handle UTI and yeast properly.
Wishing you best and regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Geeta Sundar