question-icon

Suggest treatment for cat scratch

Posted on Sat, 12 Jul 2014
Question: I was bit and , scratched by a kitten about 10 hours ago, I have been told I need a rabies shot....the kitten shows zero signs of rabies should I get one? have I waited too long to get it
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj (41 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Not needed if no bleeding

Detailed Answer:
Hi

There can be three levels of animal bite.
If the skin is intact, then vaccination is not required at all.
If there were abrasions, but no bleeding, then the situation is indeterminate. The animal should be placed under observation for 10 days for any signs of rabies. Vaccination should be started right away and discontinued once animal shows no signs of rabies.
If bleeding occurred, vaccine and rabies immunoglobulin have to be administered.

You can still get the vaccine.

Dr Vaishalee
Dr. Vaishalee Punj