Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
175 Doctors are Online

Suggest treatment for carotid artery stenosis

Nov 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 5556 Questions
I'm scheduled to have a carotid u/s B and an ECHO because I've been diagnosed with carotid artery stenosis. I'm a 67 year old lupus patient who has a compromised immune system. In a recent CT scan, it revealed I had had a small lacunar stroke of the right frontal lobe, adjacent to the anterior horn of the right lateral ventricle. If there is a substantial amount of blockage found, should I take the risk of having a carotid endarterectomy? If I decide to have the procedure done, should I opt for general anesthesia? How should I select the right physician if I need to have this procedure done after the test is completed?
Posted Tue, 4 Mar 2014 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 days later
Brief Answer: Yes, you should get carotid endarterectomy done... Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for posting your query. I have noted your complaints and the CT scan findings. If you have a severe stenosis (blockage) of carotid artery (more than 70%), then, it would be better to get a carotid revascularization proceduer done. There are two options: 1. Carotid endarterectomy, done by a vascular surgeon. It would be better to get it done under general anaesthesia. 2. Carotid angioplasty and stenting. This is usually done by an interventional radiologist or cardiologist. For this procedure, general anaesthesia is not usually required. This procedure would reduce the risk of strokes in future. However, if your carotid artery shows a blockage of less than 70%, then, no procedure is required. Aspirin and statins would do the job. I hope my reply has helped you. I would be pleased to answer, if you have any follow up queries or if you require any further information. Best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, For DIRECT QUERY to me: My blog:
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Neurologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor