• question-icon

Suggest treatment for carotid artery disease

Posted on Mon, 21 Mar 2016 in General Health
Question: Have been prescribed storvas ez and ceruvin A for plaque streaks in left n right carotid artery.hi cholesterol 188.age 56.no bp.no.diabetes.no overweight.no smoking. 2 Tia episodes...dimming in vision for seconds...twice in 4 months..family hist...mother ihd...stroke..
No other member. No other symptoms.
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Taher Ali 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Suggestive of carotid artery disease.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Sir, Hi & Welcome.
Thanks for posting your query on Health care magic.
I can understand your concern.

After having gone through the history given in your query it seems to me that the symptoms of transient ischemic attacks (TIA) and diminishing vision are suggestive of carotid artery stenosis (occlusion) caused by a buildup of plaques (cholesterol) that decrease the delivery of blood to your brain.

The medicine Storvas-EZ (Atorvastatin+Ezetimibe) helps in reducing the blood cholesterol level and thus useful in decreasing the size of the plaques in the carotid arteries.

The medicine Ceruvin-A (Clopidogrel+Aspirin) helps in reducing the aggregation of the platelets and thus the clot formation in the carotid arteries.

Continue taking the medications as prescribed by your doctor.
Besides the above medications, you need to have certain lifestyle modifications to prevent or slow the progression of carotid artery disease, like:

1. Stop smoking and alcohol if you consume.
2. Limiting cholesterol and fat in your diet
3. Eat a variety of fruits and vegetables. They contain nutrients such as Potassium, Folate and antioxidants, which may protect against a TIA or stroke.
4. Getting regular exercise helps increase good cholesterol levels, and improve heart health.

Hope the suggestions given above would be useful to you.
Best regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Mohammed Taher Ali 9 hours later
Side effects of storvas and ceruvin.specifically ezetimibe, on liver etc?
What are the signs of contraindications?If any?I am also on homeo alium sativa..which is garlic extract..i take serafli 125 occasionally for my asthma...

I have been told moderate drinking is okay...viz..a peg of whisky,glass of beer,glass if wine...
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Taher Ali 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Alcohol/alcohol beverages should be stopped

Detailed Answer:
Dear Sir, Hi
Thanks for your reply.
1. Generally Storvas-EZ is a safe medication however its use is associated with myalgia (muscle pain), inflammation of the liver, or stomach upset in some individuals.
2. This medication should not be given (contraindications) in presence of liver or muscle diseases.
3. Garlic extract (Allium sativum) may increase Storvas-EZ's effectiveness since it is thought to reduce cholesterol levels, so there is no harm in taking it.
4. Since you have already had 2 TIAs in the recent past, so both the intake of alcohol and Storvas-EZ may increase the chances of liver injury when taken together. Alcohol intake is also associated with increase triglycerides and cholesterol levels.
So, in my opinion you must give up the habit of any alcohol containing beverages like whisky, beer, wine, etc.
Hope I could answer your query.
Wishing you best of your health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Deepak
Follow up: Dr. Mohammed Taher Ali 58 minutes later
And Ceruvin A side effects ? I took the first tablet today,and had a bit of loose tummy. I think,though will have to see if it one off or recurring.

Also, I recently have come out of left frozen shoulder treatment via excercise. Is there any issue.
I am assuming taking seraflo 125 is okay with these tablets?
Di I have to take these for ever or can review and dose down or stop after few months?
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Taher Ali 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
The prescribed medications to be taken as advised by your doctor.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Sir, Hi
Thanks for your reply.
1. Ceruvin-A (Clopidogrel+Aspirin) can cause acidity related stomach problems such as dyspepsia (heartburn), gastritis or ulcers. You should take this drug after meals preferably at bed time, and I always add a drug like Pantoprazole when I prescribe these drugs.
If ever you notice any red spots, swelling of the lips, difficulty in breathing or bleeding ecchymotic contact your treating doctor.
2. Since you have just recovered from the symptoms of 'frozen shoulder' there is nothing to worry.
3. Seroflo (Fluticasone+Salmeterol) is an effective medication for the relief of breathlessness due to airway disease. You may continue to take this medication as prescribed along with other medications.
Hope I could answer your queries/-
Best regards.
Dr. Mohammed Taher Ali