• question-icon

Suggest treatment for calcified aortic arch

Posted on Fri, 3 Jun 2016 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: What is treatment for calcified aortic arch?
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome on HCM!

Regarding your concern, I would explain that calcified aortic arch is mainly found in elderly individuals who have multiple coronary risk factors (hypertension, dyslipidemia, diabetes, sedentarity, smoking cigarettes, heredity for CAD, chronic renal disease, etc0.

When present it is a strong marker of extensive vascular atherosclerosis.

Patients with calcified aortic arch should be screened for coronary artery disease, as well as other vascular beds atherosclerosis (because there exists an increased risk of cerebral ischemia [also stroke], too.

In such a subgroup of elderly patients, the best thing to do is controlling (treating) obvious coronary risk factors, in order to prevent further deterioration of atherosclerosis and calcification.

So, it is recommended properly treatment of hypertension (if present), dyslipidemia, any possible glucose metabolism disorder (diabetes), smoking cessation, following a physically active daily profile, control body weight, and also a healthy diet (I would recommend Mediterranean diet).

This is all that can be done for properly dealing with calcified aorta in elderly patients.

But, if such a clinical finding is present in young age, then a thorough clinical investigation should be done to identify any possible calcium metabolism disorders (parathyroid glands dysfunction, renal dysfunction, etc).

In case you provide me with more detailed concrete medical data (age of the patient, already performed medical tests, etc.), I could give a more concrete professional opinion.

You need to discuss with the attending physician on the above mentioned issues.

Hope to have been helpful!

In case of any further uncertainties, feel free to ask me again!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri

Follow up: Dr. Ilir Sharka 3 days later
What procedure is done to screen for coronary artery disease?
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
My answer as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello again XXXX!

Regarding coronary artery disease screening, the most popular test used in daily practice is the cardiac stress test, which investigates for possible ECG changes during physical stress and effort.

Further non-invasive tests, used to screen for possible coronary artery disease when suspicions are raised based on the characteristic clinical symptomatology are:

- Stress echo with dobutamine
- Nuclear stress test or Cardiolite stress test
- coronary artery angio CT scan

The test of choice for a direct examination (but invasive) of the blood flow in the coronary arteries is coronary angiography, which helps examine the coronary arteries for possible vessel stenosis. This test is used not only for the diagnosis but also for the treatment of this disorder.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

Best wishes,

Dr. Iliri
Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist