Suggest treatment for bursitis in hips and shoulders
Anti-inflammatory tablets and steroids are the best treatment options.
Welcome to HCM and thanks for writing to us.
The main aim of shoulder and hip bursitis treatment is to decrease the inflammation. This is best done by avoiding the problems that cause inflammation.
1) To reduce pain and inflammation you can continue taking ibuprofen tablets which is comparatively safe in elderly persons.
Do icing, it stimulates blood flow to the hip, shoulder and thus relieves pain and inflammation.
2) Physical therapy-exercises to increase hip strength and flexibility.
I suggest you to do some exercises under supervision of a physiotherapist who may teach you how to stretch your hip muscles and use other treatments such as rolling therapy (massage), ice, heat, or ultrasound. It may help you to return to normal activities without pain.
These exercises will also help to strengthen the rotator cuff and help the shoulder move more efficiently.
Avoid activities that irritate the rotator cuff tendons like- Overhead weight lifting ,throwing activities, sleeping with the arm over or behind your head.
3) Steroid injection-Injection of a corticosteroid along with a local anesthetic may also be helpful in relieving symptoms. It involves a single injection into the bursa. The injection may provide temporary (months) or permanent relief. If pain and inflammation return, another injection or two, given a few months apart, may be needed.
Generally, no surgical intervention is required for cases of hip and shoulder bursitis, because most patients respond well to NON-surgical treatment.
Only rarely does a patient with hip bursitis need a bursectomy and partial resection of the greater trochanteric process.
Hope this helps you.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Suggest treatment for sore bursitis in hips
- Treatment and cure for hip bursitis
- Treatment for hip bursitis in runners
- Treatment and cure for shoulder bursitis
- Suggest treatment for pain due to shoulder bursitis
- What is the permanent treatment for shoulder bursitis
- Chronic hip bursitis treatment
- Ischial bursitis treatment
- Ultrasound treatment for bursitis
- Hip bursitis treatment