Suggest treatment for burns on the hand from handling Methamphetamine

Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil

Posted on Fri, 10 Nov 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I just burned my right hand with hot melted meth and it must be a second or third degree burn . How do I treat it so it won't leave an ugly scar on my hand?
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Burn and scar formation

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome

I appreciate your concern

The area needs to washed clean with cold tap water or normal saline. Topical silver sulfadiazine also needs to be applied. Ideally an ER consultation should be done to administer a tetanus booster shot in addition to addressing the burn.

Once the healing /granulation tissue formation and resolution takes place then one can decide upon whether there is room for a skin graft to minimize the scar tissue formation.

Let me know if you have any query

wishing you best of health

Thanks