Suggest treatment for burning sensation throughout the body

Dr. Ajay Panwar

Neurologist

Posted on Thu, 23 Mar 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: My wife has extreme burning sensation in her skin, day and night, causing extreme anxiety. She had open heart surgery 10 months ago, and has had a slow recovery. She is physically regaining her strength and has no problems caring for herself. Does not leave the house, except for doctor visits.
Currently taking small dose oxycodone 3x/day for pain.
Has type 2 diabetes, currently controlled with 18units/ Lantus once daily.
Skin burning sensations have gotten extreme. could this be related to immune system, such as psoriasis, even though she has no physical outbreaks?
Answered by Dr. Ajay Panwar 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Some more details?

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for being on healthcaremagic.com.
I am Dr.Ajay Panwar,a neurologist, here to answer your query.

I would definitely like to guide you in this regard,however,I need to know some details for the same-
1)Is this burning sensation on hands and legs or whole body?
2)Since when is this occurring?Did it start after taking some specific medicine?
3)Does it improve in between?

In the setting of Diabetes, neuropathy commonly causes burning sensation, which is more common in hands and feet. This may be one cause.

I shall be glad to have you in follow-up with details so that I can answer this well further.

Dr.Ajay Panwar,
MD,DM(Neurology)
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Ajay Panwar 27 minutes later
Whole body sensation. She is very agitated by clothing and touching of her skin.
Condition has been increasing in severity over the last 6 months.
No noticeable weight gain or loss. It did not start after taking any particular medicines.
No improvement ... worsening daily. Affecting her overall well being.

any response to follow-up information requested?

I have submitted additional information requested by Dr Panwar, but failed to get any response. Please advise.
Answered by Dr. Ajay Panwar 25 hours later
Brief Answer:
Does not appear to be Diabetes.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for being in follow-up and providing with further details.

This is not explainable with Diabetic neuropathy, nor Psoriasis. Allergy appears to be an important differential.

I believe, a physical visit to a skin specialist, can help in this regard since historically there are no significant clues.

If you have any further questions,I shall be glad to have you in follow-up.

Dr.Ajay Panwar,
MD,DM(Neurology)