Suggest treatment for burning sensation in the stomach and esophagus

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Fri, 3 Mar 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Hi, two weeks ago I had a transesophageal echo. Since then, I have been suffering from burning in the stomach and esophagus. I was put on Zantac to help and I took it for a week. It did help but it gave me shortness of breath and since I already have asthma that wasn't going to work. I had a G.I. x-ray series where I swallowed a barium drink and a barium pill and everything looked normal. Also had a chest X-ray and it was also normal.

My questions are, if I didn't have reflux before the echo why am I suffering from the symptoms now? Will it go away on its own? What could be causing this? I've had several blood tests and everything comes back normal. I really don't want to have a scope sent down but I'm becoming desperate.
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome back on HCM!

Regarding your concern, I would answer to your question as follows:

- The fact that you didn't have reflux before, and you have similar symptoms now, could be related to a temporary dysfunction of the small muscle fibers in the esophageal junction. This could be related to slight irritation. Although the barium X -ray did not show anything concerning, slight irritation can not be excluded. Anxiety can also trigger this symptomatology.

- In my opinion your symptoms will recover spontaneuously. You just need some time.

- Slight irritation or a temporary dysfunction of the small muscle fibers under the mucosa of the esophageal junction could be responsable for this disturbances. From the other hand, anxiety can also trigger this situation.

There is no need to perform any additional tests, as all your tests have resulted normal.

As Zantac has caused shortness of breath, I would recommend trying another antiacid or a PPI (Omeprazole, pantoprazole, etc.). But it is true that these drugs can cause troubles with indigestion and bloating. That may partially explain why you felt shortness of breath.

Nevertheless, they are helpful. Modifying your diet (avoid spicy food, fats and suger) will also help.

I would also recommend avoiding large meals and try to eat more frequently and in small portions. This will help avoid stomach distension and also reduce reflux.

But, there is nothing to worry! In my opinion there is no need to perform a new endoscopy as you will recover spontaneously.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

I remain at your disposal for any further questions, whenever you need!

Wishing all the best,

Dr. Iliri