Suggest treatment for burning sensation in the lower right leg

Dr. Dariush Saghafi

Neurologist

Posted on Fri, 24 Mar 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: Yes, In the last 2 weeks or so I have felt a burning sensation on my lower rt leg it isn't the skin, it feels like inside and under the skin, it is closer to the ankle on the outside of my leg. Thank you for your help. My name is Carol Feldmeth I will be 82 on Mar 10, 2017. E-Mail YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Dariush Saghafi 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Neuropathic sensations and their workup.

Detailed Answer:
Good afternoon.

The fact that you are experiencing this discomfort for the past 2 weeks and it is entirely localized to one leg and not the other my impression is that there is a local process afoot. In other words, one single nerve or nerve twiglet supplying your right lower leg is somehow being irritated, cut off from oxygen and nutrition by some means, being compressed by some manner within your leg compartment (entrapment), or you could be on the very front end of some type of metabolic process which in time will also involve the other leg or at least the other side of the body.....such as Vitamin B12, folate, Vitamin D, B6, or other vitamin/mineral deficiency.

Therefore, if you were my patient I would start the process by:

1. Examining your leg carefully to see if I can either exacerbate or reproduce the pain by pressing, squeezing, or having you assume different postures. By the same token I would have you do different things yourself such as as walk, squat, etc. just to see if we could either exacerbate or ameliorate the sensation.

2. Serum labs to include, FT4, TSH, ANA, ESR, CRP, Vit. B12, folate, B6, Vit. D, D2, and D3, as well as a routine CBC with differential. I would make sure that your levels are not just satisfactory but that they are WELL WITHIN normal limits.

3. I might suggest some type of thermal therapy such as heat, cold, as well as exercising that leg to see if this were some type of entrapment of a nerve twiglet that somehow after movement and manipulation (massage, etc.) things could loosen up and pain would resolve.

4. If these measures don't work then, I would search for a doctor (neurologist) who could start to think in terms of a prescription to control these neuropathic pains such as with gabapentin, lyrica, Cymbalta, or aspirin. Of course, there are many other potential medications but I would keep to simple neuropathic agents to begin with then, escalate to other forms of treatment that are slightly more aggressive and/or not as well tried and tested among the masses.....make sense?

If I've provided useful and helpful information to your questions could you do me a huge favor by CLOSING THE QUERY and be sure to include some fine words of feedback along with a 5 STAR rating? Again, many thanks for submitting your inquiry and please let me know how things turn out.

Do not forget to contact me in the future at: www.bit.ly/drdariushsaghafi for additional questions, comments, or concerns having to do with this topic or others.

This query has utilized a total of 15 minutes of professional time in research, review, and synthesis for the purpose of formulating a return statement.