question-icon

Suggest treatment for burning sensation in the heels

Posted on Mon, 18 Jul 2016
Question: I had a hip replacement 3 weeks ago and everything is going fine - don't have any pain with my new hip and am walking and doing the exercises every day - my only complaint is 'burning' heels at night time - during the day it is ok but at night I can only get an hours' sleep at a time as the pain continues to wake me up. I am still wearing the compression stockings and will have them on for another 3 weeks. I also cannot sleep on my side until the 6 week mark - maybe this will solve it. Have tried ice, pillows in all different positions, everything! Any help would be appreciated
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal (12 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Can be a minor nerve root compression.

Detailed Answer:
The burning sensation in the heels can be related to a mild nerve root compression at the level of lower spine. This can be due to age related degenerative changes of the spine. You can try putting a pillow under your knees while resting if it does not bother you. Taking methylcobalamin supplements can help. You can get these prescribed after getting your serum vitamin B 12 levels evaluated.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal
Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon