Suggest treatment for burning sensation in the abdomen while on Ranitidine

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 7 Mar 2017 in Abdominal Pain
Question: I have a burning pain in my upper belly. I have been taking ranitidine for several days with no help. I also was taking high doses of ibuprofen for neck pain prior to this. I would also like to know what would be best to ease the pain.
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
As detailed below.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Thanks for your query, albeit short and specific.
To recapitulate: Female/47 - burning pain in upper belly - Ranitidine - no help - was taking high dosages of Ibuprofen for neck pain - which one is best for pain ...

Since you have taken Ibuprofen in high dosages the cause for pain in upper belly is most probable acidity and related problems.
Since Ranitidine has not helped you much, I would advise you the following:
Change over to another, PPI like Omeprazole.
Antacid liquid every three hourly, particularly when on empty stomach.
Motility regulator like Domperidone may help further.
Reduction of stress and anxiety is very very important.
Small frequent feeds of soft bland diet, preferably home made.
Upper GUI Endoscopy if there is still no response to see the reasons for the symptoms.

About the neck pain:
Watch for the cause:
Muscular, faulty postures at table, computer, work, at home.
Again, the stress and/or anxiety has a larger role to play.
Whether there is cervical spondilitis?
Investigations if needed on clinical evaluation by a Doctor, preferably an Orthopedic Surgeon or Neurosurgeon - MRI.
Some muscle relaxers alone that is without NSAIDs can be gentle for stomach.
Tramadol does not cause acidity - most of the medicines need a valid prescription hence you need to procure one from your Doctor.

I hope, this answer helps you well as it helps all my patients.
Please feel free to ask for further relevant queries if you feel that there is a gap of communication.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad