Suggest treatment for burning sensation in stomach

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 25 Aug 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: My sister had been complaining of burning sensations in her stomach and food pipe for about a year. Whenever she has any food, she'll complain that her stomach and food pipe are burning. She doesn't have vomiting or anything..just this burning! Too much of spicy food or having even the mildest food in empty stomach early in the morning makes it worse. Now she refuses to have a lot of foods like milk, coffee, chips, sauces, bread, cheese etc. What can we do to help her?
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Endoscopy , Gastroenterologist's Opinion

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
It is pertinent that any problem more than a week old needs to be investigated.

Since your sister is suffering so much and for so long , it is advisable to go for upper GI Endoscopy to start with to get the exact picture of the esophagus, stomach and early part of the duodenum.

Get an opinion of Gastroenterologist who would do Upper GI Endoscopy and prescribe medicines like PPI, Antacid gel and motility regulator.

Antacids should be taken every 3 hours , particularly on empty stomach and should start taking this the moment is is awake.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj