Suggest treatment for burning sensation in skin while on Abilify and Klonopin

Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe

Psychiatrist

Posted on Mon, 27 Mar 2017 in Mental Health
Question: Hello, my name is XXXX and I take 15 mg of abilify in the morning, and 3 mg of klonopin throughout the day. Both remeron and melatonin caused me burning skin. Even turning off my nightlight caused the darkness to produce melatonin in my body and I woke up with burning skin. And before when I had taken melatonin and remeron, I also woke up with burning skin. So I ordered 200 mg capsules of L-theanine, and I read that it produces serotonin which is a precursor to melatonin. So with the melatonin I will be getting from the L-theanine, do you think I will have burning skin? Also, will the L-theanine interact with the 15 mg of abilify and 3 mg of klonopin? And will 200 mg of L-theanine be enough to get me a good night's rest or should I take 400 mg at bedtime or supplement it with something else like gaba or tryptophan or 5-htp? And will those additional supplements interact with the abilify and klonopin?
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Consultation

Detailed Answer:
Hello, and thanks for your question.

L-theanine is an unregulated supplement. It is unclear how this will interact with your medications, because supplements are unregulated and their content can be anything, really. I would generally avoid this supplement, as I do not think it is likely to help you, and may make things worse by interacting with your other meds.

Please remember to rate and close this answer thread when you are finished and satisfied.

In the future, for continuity of care, I encourage you to contact me directly at my private web address below. After you ask a direct question, it would be my pleasure to be your dedicated personal physician on this website. My name is Dr. Sheppe, and I am an XXXXXXX doctor working in New York City at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital, ranked #1 for Psychiatry in the United States (tinyurl.com/psyrank). For a personalized comprehensive evaluation, treatment recommendations, and individual therapy, ask me at HealthCareMagic at this private web address: tinyurl.com/DrSheppeAnswers
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T