Suggest treatment for burning sensation in penis, dehydration and lower abdominal pain

Dr. Matthew J. Mangat

Urologist

Posted on Thu, 10 Sep 2015 in Men's Health
Question: Hi,

1 n half month back i started to have this burning sensation in my penis. It is there all the time. It goes for 2 or 3 days but come back again for 1 day. My all urine tests report where normal and as per doctors i am suffering with dehydration only. My ultrasound test and LFT is normal. My latest urine test reports are as follows RBC 0-2, Pus Cells 1-2, EP 0-2 and rest is all normal. Burning symptoms still persists. I have no discharge nothing except sometimes lower abdomen pain which doctor said that i have gas as per ultrasound reports. Prostate and everything else is normal as per ultrasound. Burning sensation is still there. I am drinking lots of water and since 2 days taking cefuroxime and alkalinizer as per one doctor he suggests mild infection. Please advise
Answered by Dr. Matthew J. Mangat 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Drink 10-12 glasses of liquids including lime juice.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX and welcome to HCM.
As an Urologist, let me advise you to wait for urine culture test, which gives us the diagnosis of urinary infection.
You're presently being treated on basis of urine routine test only.
It'll take two days, for culture report to come.
If burning sensation is more severe, you can take Tablet Phenazopyridine 200mg, at least twice daily. It'll give an orange tinge to urine. Once stopped, it'll disappear.
Taking the alkaliser in lime juice, gives better relief in many.
You don't need to worry at all, as other reports are normal.
Drink 10-12 glasses of liquids daily.
Wish you a speedy recovery.

Follow up: Dr. Matthew J. Mangat 14 minutes later
Thank you doctor.

I was not advised for any Urine culture test as i was told i have very mild infection due to which i was getting 1-2 pus cells. I will start lime juice. But please advise if you suggest me for a urine culture test. If yes, then will taking antibiotic effects urine culture test or no? I was advised to take cefuroxime 250 mg 2 times for 5 days( still 3 days left) along with alkanizer. Please advise.
Answered by Dr. Matthew J. Mangat 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
you're welcome.

Detailed Answer:
Hi again.
Well, i'm surprised from your message.
A urine routine of minimum 5-10 pus cells, only is indicative of a possible infection.
As you've less than 5 pus cells in routine test, a culture could have been done.
Once antibiotic is started, culture isn't done, as it'll be normal.
Any way, complete the course and you should be fine.
If at all, you should have similar symptoms in future, do get an urine culture first.
Drinking 8-10 glasses liquids daily, is a good preventive measure.
Get well soon.