Suggest treatment for burning sensation during urination, itching, redness and swelling of vagina

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Posted on Mon, 19 Oct 2015 in General Health
Question: vaginal infection, burning sensation during urination,itching, redness and swelling of the vaginal area, cottage cheese like vaginal discharge, sometimes with bad odor.
over the counter medicine loxof az 500 is taken twice daily for 5 days.... but itching, redness and swelling, cottage cheese like discharge still persists... plz help...

Married Since Dec,2014 ... infection recurs every 2 months...
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Vaginal yeast inf'n; Single tab. of fluconazole+clotrimazole vaginal tabs

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you for writing to us

I have gone through your query and I have understood it.

You seem to have a yeast/ candidal vulvovaginitis whereas the treatment with you have taken (loxof az 500 mg) is an antibiotic combination (i.e azithromycin and levofloxacin) and is unlikely to benefit vaginal yeast infection.
Oral antibiotics may rather make vaginal yeast infection worse by suppressing local vaginal bacterial flora and thereby encouraging unhindered growth of the yeast.
If I was the treating doctor I would have asked you to take a SINGLE DOSE of an Oral antifungal e.g Fluconazole 150 mg tablet.
In addition, you may also insert vaginal clotrimazole tablet/ pessary once daily at night for 6 days.
These are prescription medications and should be used under supervision of a doctor. Therefore I suggest that you visit a gynecologist in your vicnity for a confirmatory diagnosis and for the needful.

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 3 days later
the problem still persists though the symptoms are minimized now...the vaginal cltrimazole tablet comes out from vagina in the morning through urine half utilized...plz give ur suggestion...
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Continue with treatment for the entire duration

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

Your problem has minimised. That is good. It should resolve in another 3-4 days.
Usually enough of clotrimazole is released inside vagina by vaginal tablets overnight. So you don't have to worry about it coming out next day. Must continue with the treatment for the entire duration of 1 week.
If still some minor problem persist even after a week, I usually suggest a repeat dose of flucoanzole tablet after a week of the first dose, and that should be more than enough.
Kindly use these medications under supervision and proper instructions from a gynecologist after a confirmatory clinical diagnosis.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 4 days later
the previous problem is cleared now but past 1 week i have noticed that a portion of my middle and ring finger is eroded...and today i have noticed it in my toes also. in toes it seems like it will be broken from the middle.... plz help
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Kindly upload an Image

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

Good to know that your previous concern has resolved.
Seems like the skin condition on your finger and toes is a manifestation of eczematous dermatitis (either allergic or irritant).
I request you to kindly upload an Image so that I am able to guide you better.
You may upload an Image either at "Reports Section" Or You may mail me an image at YYYY@YYYY with the subject line as Attention:Dr.Kakkar.
Also let me know does it itch?

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 45 minutes later
no itching problem is there. i have sent the an image in mail(from YYYY@YYYY ) and also uploaded it . plz suggest medicines.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Onychomycosis; Oral antifungals after lab confirmation of diagnosis

Detailed Answer:
Hi. Thank you. I have reviewed the Images

I can see a yellowish, discolored patch on one of your finger nail.
This seems like a fungal infection to me i.e onychomycosis.
I would suggest a course of an Oral antifungal tablets e.g either terbinafine Or fluconazole tablets
However, first I would recommend a lab confirmatory test i.e KOH preparation made by scraping from the surface of affected area and visualising under the microscope which would reveal fungal elements i.e hyphae in case of fungal infections.
I suggest that you visit a dermatologist in your vicnity who would refer you to a nearby lab for a KOH test from nail scraping and thereafter prescribe you an appropriate oral antifungal.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj