Suggest treatment for burning mouth syndrome

Posted on Wed, 22 Jun 2016 in Dental Health
Question: I have Burning Mouth Syndrome & Oral Specialist said it is a neurological problem. How come?
Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Burning Mouth Syndrome is caused due to a number of causes..

Detailed Answer:
Hi..
Welcome to HEALTHCARE MAGIC..

I have gone through your query and can understand your concerns..

As per your complain Burning Mouth Syndrome is considered to be caused due to a number of causes like dry mouth, side effects of medications like blood pressure lowering medicines,oral contraceptives, oral infections like thrush, diabetes, deficiency of iron and vitamin B12 etc..

At times there is no specific underlying cause..

As far as Neurological problem is considered it is researched that disturbance in the functioning of the nerve fibres of the taste pathways can also cause burning mouth..
This can lead to altered functioning of taste buds..

I would like to known a few more details so that I can guide you better..

1. Do you have a dry mouth or any white coating in mouth?
2. Since how long is the burning present?
3. Do you have any medical problem or are you on any medication?
4.Is the inside of mouth have any sores or inflamed mucosa?
5.Do you have any known allergies?
6.Do you experience acid reflux or symptoms of heart burn and sour liquid coming to mouth with acidity?
7.Do you have any numbness inside mouth over tongue, lips etc?

Please revert back with answers..

Hope this information helps..

Thanks and regards.
Dr.Honey Nandwani Arora.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Honey Arora 1 hour later
I do have occasional dry mouth for which I use gel & toothpaste.

I have only recently been diagnosed but can put symptoms back to 5 years & have got worse recently so have retried to get answers now.

I had a gastrectomy 2002. I also have had my gall bladder removed. Have reflux but cancer specialist says it can't be treated without an operation so I help by lifting top body in bed etc.

I am on blood pressure medication, Endep & low dosage antibiotics to treat Diverticulosis.

I have no visual mouth sores but burning sensation in nose, palette, mouth & tongue & throat. I do have mucous & eating some foods cause me to sneeze & runny nose.

Tested for allergies & result - NIL

As said before I have reflux problem but I have seemed to contain it.

At times my tongue swells which makes me talk funny. I haven't specifically noticed numbness. I have dental partials which when symptoms get worse in palette I can't wear them. Dental problems have been cleared.

I do have bad headaches.

I feel ill & have nausea when symptoms get worse which have become regular now & impairs my quality of life.
Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Multiple factors can be responsible..

Detailed Answer:
Hi..
Welcome Back..

As per the answers, it seems that there are multiple factors that seems to be responsible for your problem as Dry mouth, acid reflux and allergies are all responsible to cause burning mouth..

Also the symptoms of runny nose and sneezing after eating certain foods and swelling of tongue occasionally are due to allergic reaction only and you should get re-evaluated for the same..

You should once consult an Oral Pathologist who can sum up the exact causes of the symptoms by advising investigations and then if needed you will be referred to a Neurologist..

As far as acid reflux is concerned it can be controlled well with medications too and you can consult a Gastroenterologist and get evaluated and he can advise you proton pump inhibitors like Omeprazole and antacids for relief..

As of now gargle with numbing mouthwash containing Lignocaine to relieve burning and pain..
Do cool water rinses..
Suck ice pops.
Take multivitamin supplements..

Any further queries are welcome..

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Honey Arora

Dentist