• question-icon

Suggest treatment for bumps on the shaft of the penis

Posted on Fri, 4 Aug 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Had these little bumps that were clear and i popped them like a zit and water came out of them and shot out! I do work out alot and sweat a ton while wearing tighter underwear! My girlfriend an I do have intense sex and im windering if its friction water blisters? I do maturbate every now and then with no lube. We are both clean when we started dating a while ago! In the pics its red due to working outside in the heat and humidy and sweating. Please give me insight cause online i searched herpes and non of them looked like it and i didnt have pus when it popped.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Possiblity of genital herpes

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you for writing to us.

I am Dr. kakkar (dermatologist). I have gone through your query and I have viewed the image.
I can see multiple erosions on shaft of penis. Clinically this does look like genital herpes. This is how herpes usually presents - as a cluster of sores on genitalia. The base of herpetic sores is usually clean unless they are infected. Early on there may be fluid filled vesicles but they are transient and usually rupture soon to reveal sores. There is associated pain and/ or burning sensation. I suggest a DNA PCR for HSV from one of these sores. This will serve as a confirmatory diagnosis.

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 6 minutes later
I have no pain at all and those are from when i popped then and then just was working outside. I did masterbate today as well. I added neosporn on it as well! My gf both got tested clean 8 months ago and i know we have intense sex with friction. Cod the blister had been a heat blister?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Screening for HSV is advisable

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

The appearance of skin lesions is very similar to genital herpes. Early on the lesions may start as fluid filled vesicles which later on rupture either spontaneously or on manipulation to form open sores. So, at least this justifies screening test to rule put genital herpes infection. Pain and burning sensation are relative symptoms and may not be very troublesome for a patient specially if its a reactivation of a previously silent Hsv type 2 infection Or if the genital infection is caused by Hsv type 1 virus which causes relatively mild involvement as compared to genital Hsv type 2 infection which is more often symptomatic and severe.
I will keep trauma from intense sex as a second possibility, if at all.

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 30 hours later
Its looking better and i been using ointment and i have no pain
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 18 hours later
Brief Answer:
Continue with the ointment. Screen for herpes after 4 weeks

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

Continue with the ointment for a few more days. However I suggest you to do a screening blood test for genital herpes i.e HSV ELISA type 1 & 2, IgG and IgM at 4 weeks.

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist