Suggest treatment for bumps at the back of the tongue

Dr. Yogesh D

Posted on Mon, 27 Mar 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hi Dr. Rynne,
I am concerned today about my current health as I noticed today that I have several lumps/bumps beginning on the back of my tongue and they continue back on my tongue going towards my throat. They are significant lumps/bumps and they seem to be pinkish in color. I have been looking on Mayo Clinics' website and WebMD to research my symptoms, however nothing has matched my symptoms yet. I was scared it was Tongue or Throat cancer, but those symptoms seem to involve only one tumor, I have a number of them. I read that it is possible to get Skin Cancer in the mouth, so that may be an idea. I have Rheumatoid Arthritis and take Humira,is it a possible aide effect from the medicine? Thank you for your time today with my health question as I am shook up after seeing such a mess in my mouth...

Sincerely,
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
The bumps are normal, These are the lymphoid aggregates (tonsil)

Detailed Answer:

From your description, I understand that you are referring to the small elevations (bumps) at the back of the tongue (the base of the tongue).

The tongue is normally bumpy in the posterior 1/3rd part because of the presence of lymphoid aggregates which are called the lingual tonsil, it is similar to the tonsils on either sides of the tongue, but multiple in number and smaller in size.

I can confirm if it is just the lingual tonsil or if there is indeed a swelling if you can upload a picture of the part of the tongue.

However, I am quite confident that you are referring to the lingual tonsil.

I hope this answers your query for now, please upload a photo of the area if you wish.

Good health and warm regards