• question-icon

    Suggest treatment for bumps around shaft of penis and testicles

Posted on Wed, 1 Jun 2016 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I am a 22 year old who has weird bumps around the lower half of my penis shaft and all over my testicles. They are pale/yellowish colored and aren't painful but do itch on occasion. They are all cluster together and are really annoying. Any thoughts?
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Bumps are due to overactive oil glands. Don't worry.

Detailed Answer:

Welcome and thanks for posting your query to the forum.

I can understand your concern for the bumps over the penile and the scrotal area.

After analyzing the pictures with best diligence let me reassure you first that these bumps are the over proliferation of the normal oil glands around the hair roots.

To tell you simply regarding this conditon - our penile and scrotal skin is one of the thinnest skin in comparison to the skin of the rest of the body. There are also more dense and active oil glands which are attached to the hair roots. In some of the persons these oil glands are more active. So it results in the bumps of varying sizes. You can observe in yourself that some of these bumps are very small of pin head size only and some are even larger as per the activity of oil glands.

I further reassure you that these are not related to any type of Sexually transmitted infections. I quite often counsel young men with your kind of condition more concerned about one or other STDs.

The only problem is appearance of the bumps. For that I generally prefer to abate the more prominent bumps with radio frequency machine. It is one of the simplest method and could be done by a dermatologist.

Otherwise if the person is not bothered then these never pose any problems in future life. Tretinoin cream could be used to prevent the further formation of the new bumps.

I hope this allays your concern for the bumps. I will be happy to help you any further.

With regards,

Dr Sanjay Kanodia
MD - Dermatology & Sexually transmitted diseases
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Naveen Kumar
Follow up: Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 39 minutes later
Thanks for responding so quickly!

Will these bumps go away or am I stuck with them for life?

Would it be possible to do the radio frequency treatment on my own? Is it common for them to itch occasionally?
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
An antihistamine could be taken to reduce the itching.

Detailed Answer:
Hello young fellow,

Welcome back and thanks for your swift response.

As I guided you earlier that these are simple over active glands. So in many a persons when the overactivity is halted or reduced then accordingly the size of the glands and accrdingly the bumps also get less prominent or reduced.

It increases sometimes due to heat or synthetic or tight garments as well as due to repeated touching or scratching. So I request you to kindly not to pinch or scratch the area.

Occasional itching is common and should not be bothered. An antihistamine could be taken to reduce the itch. I prefer to give Loratadine to my patients.

I beg your pardon to say that radio frequency ablation is a specialist procedure and could be by a doctor, preferably a dermatologist.

I again reassure you regarding simplicity of this condition.

My best wishes for your good health.

With regards,

Dr Sanjay Kanodia
MD - Dermatology & Sexually transmitted diseases
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Naveen Kumar
Answered by
Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia


Practicing since :2002

Answered : 4165 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on

Recent questions on  Loratadine

doctor1 MD

Hello - I have allergies and my soft palette is so sore right now I can barely sleep or swallow. I keep getting sharp pain/tickles that make me...

doctor1 MD

yes i have same symptoms as described below; this is after I catched a very bad cold and my doctor prescribed desloratadine here is how I can best...

doctor1 MD

I have a rash and itching from my neck to my breasts, across my shoulders, down my back and slightly on my arms to the back of my hands. I am...

doctor1 MD

My story is a difficult one, I went through a rough patch last year, Myself and my wife was looking to buy a new house and we battled to find one...

doctor1 MD

I have chronic sinus problem in the head cavities and now seems to be around the eyes I am taking Claritin one every 24 hrs not seeming to do the...

doctor1 MD

71 year old female, hold body is itching and burning feeling.

doctor1 MD

My boyfriend has had a sudden onset of hives all over his body with the exception of his neck, face and head on Sunday. He has been on Benadryl...

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

142 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction
Questions Answered By Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia
  • Q - Marks on penile shaft, looks like wart and is rough. What could it be?

  • Q - Have red raised skin with clear pus pores on arm. Using neosporin on it....

  • Q - Has dark patches on inside of upper lips. What could be the reason for...

  • Q - Have small pimples on foreskin. How to remove this?

  • Q - Have had a rash near anus it does not itch. Tried Hydrocortizone, no...

  • Q - Had a blood draw. Having a bruise or rash at that spot. Should I be...

  • Q - Have itchy pimple on penis. No relief after applying cream. Which...

  • Q - Have blood blister on mole. Had removed it. Possibility of melanoma?

  • Q - Has rash that looks like pimple. Treatment?

  • Q - Having scalp abscess. Scalp open up several layers with lesions and...