• question-icon

Suggest treatment for bump on the back of my ear

Posted on Wed, 9 Apr 2014 in General Health
Question: I have a bump on the back of my ear towards the top it doesn't hurt feels very warm though
Answered by Dr. Praveen 1 hour later
Brief Answer: This might be a lymph node Detailed Answer: Hi.Thanks for writing on HCM. Lymph node is the most commonest swelling which is present at the back of the ear.It feels warm and sometimes might not hurt in the initial stages where the inflammation/infection is still picking up. Still I would like to know few information to understand its nature of the swelling and rule out rest of the swellings: Did you have any throat or /ear infection/upper respiratory infection/fever/cold now/few days earlier? What is the size and shape of the swelling? How does the swelling feel hard, soft, cystic etc? Are the borders of the swelling well defined? Is it growing in size? If yes, how long has it take to grow to the current size? Does the swelling has any dark punctum(black spot) on its surface? Kindly share the details so that I may revert with a closer diagnosis. Hope this helps you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Praveen 17 minutes later
my throat hurts and stuffy nose. I did have an ear infection 2 months ago. it feels soft and yes the boarders are defind. I've just noticed it today just because it was very warm
Answered by Dr. Praveen 38 minutes later
Brief Answer: Its a lymph node Detailed Answer: Thanks for writing back. Its most likely a lymph node and suggests that the infection is active. I would a advise you to take a course of antibiotics (Tab.Azithromycin 500mg once daily after food for 3 days) and analgesics(Tab.Ibuprofen 400mg twice daily after food). If you have recurrent upper respiratory symptoms I were to do a through ENT examination and find out the cause if any. Lymph node usually disappears spontaneously once the infection subsides after taking proper treatment.Nothing to worry.I am sure that you donot squeeze the lymph node. Hope this answers your query.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Dr. Praveen