question-icon

Suggest treatment for bump in the armpit

Posted on Fri, 22 Jul 2016
Question: I have a ingrown bump under my upper armpit that has turned black and now becoming painful around the area and a bit down my bicep. When I press it down and close my arm it is painful around the area of the ingrown. I can feel it like a ball under the skin about the size of an almond. It is painful around the bump and spreading pain in that area of my under arm and bicep. Sorry for redundancy.
Answered by Dr. Dr. Kakkar (10 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Oral and topical antibiotic and oral antiinflammatory

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you for writing to us

I am dr.kakkar(dermatologist). I have gone through your query and i have noted your concern.

The area is definitely infected since it is painful and swollen and tender.

I would suggest a course of an oral antibiotic e.g either Amoxicillin/clavulanic acid 625mg, three times a day for 7 days Or Cephalexin 500 mg, three times a day for 7 days.
You may also take an oral antiinflammatory/ painkiller e.g ibuprofen or diclofenac, twice daily, for symptomatic relief.

Follow up: Dr. Dr. Kakkar (19 minutes later)
Can you prescribe the above mentioned oral antibiotics or do I have to make a doctor appointment?
Answered by Dr. Dr. Kakkar (38 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Kindly visit your primary care physician for a prescription

Detailed Answer:
Dear user. You need to visit a doctor in your region for the needful.

Dr. Dr. Kakkar

Dermatologist