question-icon

Suggest treatment for bump between rib cage

Posted on Mon, 1 Jun 2015
Question: While arching my back getting out of bed I noticed a bump between my rib cage. No pain but enough to make me worry. I've recently seen the doctor for heartburn and im currently taking Prevacid for a month in the morning and Pepcid at night. What is this bump though?
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu (5 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Possible lipoma,ultrasound recommended

Detailed Answer:

I understand your concern.

The bump you notice between your rib cage might be lipoma (fatty mass). An ultrasound of the bump is advised for determination and proper management.

If lipoma will be confirmed, then, nothing worrisome. If it does not ache or is not inflammed, it can be left as it is. Otherwise, surgical removal is the treatment of choice.

Hope it was of help!
Dr.Klerida
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Klerida Shehu

Gastroenterologist