Suggest treatment for bump and pain on the achilles tendon

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 20 Oct 2015 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: My achilles tendon has a bump. I am not an athelete. What might be wrong?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Could be an inflammation or rupture.

Detailed Answer:
The presence of a bump and pain on the achilles tendon is likely to be due to tendonitis. It happens due to excessive stress on the tendon like jumping or running or an injury. If untreated it cam cause rupture of the tendon also. You need to give your foot a rest and use a crepe bandage or an elastic brace for support. Avoid running or jogging and do a hot compress in the area. You can also take a mild anti inflammatory like ibuprofen for relief.
In case the pain is persistent then do consult your orthopedician for stronger prescription medicines.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal