Suggest treatment for bruising on the knee cap

Posted on Mon, 8 Jun 2015 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hi,
I had a spontaneous bruise appear on my left knee cap today. It is quite large and reddish purple in color. I did work out today with some strengthening/cardio (as I normally do) but didn't feel any pain or discomfort and had nothing occur that I am aware of that would have caused trauma to the knee. I feel some very mild discomfort in the knee now when bending, but I am concerned about the potential for a more serious knee injury/instability and want to know what actions I should take.

I am a 39 year old female, 132 lbs, 5'6", and in good health. I take topomax for seizure mgmt. and that's it for meds.
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
do not worry

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for your question.
I have seen your photo and read about what happened. Occasionally due to exercise of some other cause we just have a blood vessel that ruptures and causes some bleeding under the skin that looks like a bruise. If this is a one time occurrence then do not worry about it. Treat it as you would any bruise with ice and elevation. If it is not painful then you may not even need to do those things. This will resolve on its own in a few weeks. If it happens recurrently then see your doctor for some blood tests to check on possible bleeding issues. I have checked and this does not appear to be a side effect of the topamax.
Dr. Robinson
Dr. Kathy Robinson