Suggest treatment for bruises on the body and easy fractures

Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin

Posted on Tue, 29 May 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: My sister has trouble opening her mouth widely, has witch like hands and fingers, has knots on the top of her hands before her fingers begin, is covered with bruises on her body from just being touched, has trouble spooning ice rom a cup, shuffles her feet, doesn't stand up straight. She is 75 years old. She fell and broke her hip and had a hip replacement. She is in rehab and can't even begin to rehab herself. She is very thin and was weak before she fell.
she is very sensitive to pain. She has had these symptoms for the past 3 years and I am wondering if she has an underlying condition we aren't aware of. I know that it will be hard for you to give me a diagnosis but could these symptoms be a clue to something that has never been diagnosed?
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Easy fractures can be due to osteoporosis or some underlying bone disease

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Welcome to Healthcaremagic. Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We will try to help you in best way possible. First of all it's sad to know what your sister had been going through lately.

Based on the history you have shared, she can be having some underlying bone disease whether related to bone resorption due to demineralization of bones or due to some underlying maligancy and baseline work up like Complete blood picture as well as ESR, serum calcium, alkaline phosphatase, D3 levels should be investigated and a bone scan for osteoporosis as well as skeletal survey to rule out any lytic lesions should be done.

Meanwhile supplements for calcium,D3, bisphonates and B complex should be started. For pain OTC analgesics like acetaminophen can be given. For severe pains potent analgesics like tramadol may also be needed.

Wishing her a speedy recovery. Hope this has answered your query. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask. Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T