Suggest treatment for bruises on inner thigh

Posted on Fri, 13 Nov 2015 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Today i noticed a line of bruises on inner thigh. The line follows the place where my two thighs meet if i were standing up. As you can see in the picture the darker bruises are prosimal and starts 3' bellow pelvis. They go to about 3' above my knee area. The area is slightly tender but not like normal bruises would be. What could this be and how soon do i need to see a doctor? Is this condition serious?
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
You need to check your clotting profile

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Welcome to health care magic!

Based on the picture you have shared, it seems to be a rash which is formed by oozing of blood out of the blood vessels as in the case if clotting abnormalities or thinning of blood secondary to low platelets or any abnormality with platelets aggregation.

These can be confirmed on laboratory investigations like PT, apTT, complete blood count, and bleeding time. Complete blood count not only will reveal platelets count but also can predict eodinphilia, to rule out the rash of contact dermatitis.

If these labs turn out to be normal, the allergic dermatitis can also be thought to be the possible cause. In any case treatment aims at removing any offending skin allergens , adding citrus and vitamin C in diet and applying emolients over the rash for itching. Using anti histamines like cetrizine or loratidine will also help with the symptoms.

If the rash increases in size or involves, more areas or any signs of beeding in stools or urine is observed, get an urgent medical consultation but otherwise it can wait for a while.

Hoping you a speedy recovery. If you dont have any more questions, please close the discussion. You can also reach me directly through my profile in case of any more questions, Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin