Suggest treatment for bruised fungal infection on toenail

Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan

Posted on Tue, 21 Jul 2015 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hi
i have a bruised and white big toenail that fungal treatments bought from the pharmacy doesn't seem to cure
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Needs surgical removal

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking

fungus toenail also called onychomycosis / tinea unguium some times comes back frequently and does not respond to medications. If you have used both topical as well as oral antifungal treatment and is not responding to the medications it is time to go for surgical option and removal of nail under local anesthesia with a blade or laser or light based therapy as these are ultimate promising treatment.

Talk to your general surgeon and let them help you in this regard. Apply topical antifungals, XXXXXXX vaporub and trim the nail and thin it. Snake root extract from sunflower family plant and tea tree oil are also helpful and should be applied.

I hope it helps. Take good care of yourself and dont forget to close the discussion please.

Khan
Follow up: Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 15 hours later
Hi, I have provided some attachments. Please review them.
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Needs surgical removal

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for getitng back to me

I have gone through your attachment and i believe it is infected enough to be considered for surgery. It needs nail removal and it needs to be managed after that with dressing and debridement.

Please talk to a general surgeon and discuss the options. Old fashioned blade or laser of either carbon dioxide or light therapy.

I hope it helps.

Khan