Suggest treatment for bruise on the toe after an accident

Dr. Mahaveer Patil

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Sat, 24 Feb 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: early yesterday morning I was trying to get out bed quickly to get my dog who was running for the door. I tripped off my sheet and fell landed on bottom of my. big toe. I was getting ready to sleep when. I took off my sock an realized it is badly bruised an appears swollen. I cant .over it same as my left foot big toe. just curious on what I should do. it feels tight.
Answered by Dr. Mahaveer Patil 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
POSSIBILITY OF AN UNDERLYING FRACTURE

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting the question.
I have gone through your medical history and attached photographs in detail.

The great toe is considerably swollen and bruised.These are signs of injury to an underlying bone.

You should avoid bearing weight on the affected area or doing hot fomentation.
Ice packs ill help reduce the pain and swelling.

Apply compression bandage around the swollen area and keep the leg elevated as far as possible.

Take anti inflammatory tablets like ibuprofen or tramadol for immediate pain relief.

I would suggest you to consult an orthopedic doctor and get an Xray of the affected part done to rule out any fracture.

The doctor may apply a plaster if any fracture is diagnosed.

Do update me with the Xray once you get it done.

I hope the answer was useful.

Feel free to ask me any follow up queries that you may have.

Thank you.
Kind regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Mahaveer Patil 12 hours later
I fractured it at the joint. I got x-rays. have to wear a wooden show with my toes taped. rest and elevation all the time pain meds as needed. I will be waddling for about a month the otherpedic said but better than fracture moving an needing surgery.
Answered by Dr. Mahaveer Patil 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
strict non weight bearing

Detailed Answer:
For faster and better recovery, you should avoid bearing weight on that limb for 1 month.
Take calcium and vitamin D3 tablets for good solid bony union.
Thanks .
Follow up: Dr. Mahaveer Patil 1 hour later
thank you for all the advice you called it without an x-ray too. hurts but I suppose that's expected. thanks again, take care
Answered by Dr. Mahaveer Patil 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Welcome

Detailed Answer:
Wish you a speedy recovery
Thank you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj