Suggest treatment for bruise on the left side of the navel

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 15 Mar 2017 in Abdominal Pain
Question: There's this spot that's is abit from the belly button on the left side. Hurts when I press down. Is it a muscle strain or something else. It feels like a bruise when I press on it and more prominent when I try to sit up while lying down. I did do sit ups a month back and some pushup. Other then this I am just gassy so I doubt it's appendicitis?
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
As detailed below.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
To recapitulate: Female/24 - spot a bit away from belly button on the left side - tender - feels like a bruise on pressing on it - more prominent when try to sit up - did sit ups and push ups a month back - just gassy to add on - wants to know whether appendicitis/ strain/ something else.

As per the history you have provided, this looks more of a para-umbilical hernia.
Other possible causes can be a lipoma, desmoid tumor, herniation of rectus muscle.

Please give some feedback:
Does the swelling reduce completely if you rest in lying down position? And popping on coughing or straining by any means?
Can you please post a photograph with marker where the spot is?

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant 8 hours later
Sometimes there is a popping feeling at night when I suck and release my stomach but seemed to have gas after that. It only hurts when I press on it other wise it doesn't hurts
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Which area are you talking about?

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your photo.
Are you talking about the red spot away on left side of the umbilicus?
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant 19 minutes later
yup left side
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Are you talking about the red spot and anything under it?

Detailed Answer:

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy