Suggest treatment for bruise on hand

Posted on Mon, 6 Oct 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: My husband just returned home from a vendors convention in XXXXXXX Wisconsin..this bruise appeared when he returned from XXXXXXX at another trade show...Augut 13th.when he left this time he still had a mysterious blue mark on his right forearm he didn't remember hitting his arm...we live in a heavily wooded area....this past 6 days .while he was gone his arm swelled up his elbow turned bright red and is now the size of a a golfball at his elbow and in extreme pain even hand is swollen...he did call to see the dr. first thing tomorrow and I did put ice on him could have killed him for waiting til he got home....he is 68...married 38 years...he waited this long will be anxious to see what our dr says ..I feel he should go to the ER..

he says he thought he felt a tiny prick...but not visible...he was also once bitten by a brown recluse we almost lost him..that was 30 yrs ago...wonder if he is somewhat resistant= to it and it just took long to appear there is no skin destruction though like it was with that no fever or deliriousness...he wouldn't have been abet to function at the trade shows...so thinking bursitis? He had a quintuple by pas 10 months ago and a very strange triple pantaloons hernia surgery in
august but doctors say he is in 100% perfect shape to work.
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Severe insect bite reaction

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Your husband seems to have developed a localised cellulitis secondary to am insect bite reaction .
Since the swelling is increasing, it would be better to see a local doctor as soon as possible . He might have to be started on oral antibiotics and/ steroids according after proper assessment of the area .
In the mean time, he should keep his affected limb raised as much as possible so as to prevent too much accumulation of fluid and edema.
He can start intake of some oral anti inflammatory agent like tablet paracetamol two to three times a day to bring down the swelling .

Dr Geetika Paul
Follow up: Dr. Geetika Paul 8 minutes later
thank you..am calling local dr service now...might get him to the ER..God bless you teehee after 38 years I get to tell him I was unfortunately right.
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Best of health

Detailed Answer:
You are most welcome

Wishing him speedy recovery

Dr Geetika Paul
Dr. Geetika Paul

Dermatologist