Suggest treatment for bruise and itchy rash on thighs

Posted on Thu, 12 Mar 2015 in Lupus
Question: I have a bruise on one thigh that is 8 weeks old, and a bruise on my other thigh that is 4 weeks old. Both bruises became large in size, the have developed anew itchy rash over them. The rash began in the middle of each bruise and is working it's way outward, following the pattern of the bruise. It is not much darker than the color of my skin, except the edges of the rash are red. I have no idea what it is!!??
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Can be fungal rash.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Madam,

Thank you for posting your query on HCM.

Well looking into your problem I would like to request you to send a photograph of the rash although by the description that you are giving it seems more like a fungal one but need to have a look at it to comment any further . Plus also write about any kind of medicines that you have taken recently , any other disease you are suffering from and if there was any preceding event for the same . So that we have a better understanding for your issue and guide you in the best way.

Take care,

Dr. Shruti
Follow up: Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 7 minutes later
I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia two years ago. An autoimmune disorder has been suspected, I was told by an ER doctor he thought it was a collagen vascular disorder, possibly Lupus. No diagnosis of autoimmune yet. I take birth control pills, Effexor, Topimax. I have been taking these meds for about four years with no problems. my biggest concern is how long the bruising is lasting and having a rash covering the bruising. That has never happened.
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Follows

Detailed Answer:
Dear Madam,

Looking at the rash it looks purpuric rash with superimposed fungal infection may be which is leading to itching . Sometimes birth control pills can lead to this also but doesnt seem to be because of that . I would also like to know your ANA and platelet count reports . Yes lupus need to be ruled out . Did you have any blood tests recently if yes then please send me those .

Dr. Shruti
Dr. Shruti Rijhwani

Rheumatologist