• question-icon

Suggest treatment for bronchial asthma

Posted on Wed, 5 Jul 2017 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: Pulmonology question: What specifically is the increased risk of death due to in asthmatics who use LABA inhalers? Based on incidence data, statistically speaking how frequently does this occur?
Answered by Dr. Jnikolla 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
there are not statistically date in my knowledge

Detailed Answer:
Hello again

Its doctor Jolanda responding again

1.LABA are not the first choice of treatment in bronchial asthma and as such they are not indicated for these patients in first stages.If it is uncontrolled asthma or overlap syndrome (asthma and copd ) than they might be added in the treatment.

2.Based on literature or actually published papers there is no statistically data to show the incidence of death in this group of patients because there is no relationship between asthma death and LABA use.

Hope this will be helpful for you

Dr.Jolanda
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Jnikolla 10 hours later
Hi hello again and very nice to hear from you Dr. Jolanda. As regards item number two above, I don't know if this is the case in Albania, but in XXXXXXX all LABA medications come with warnings on the box stating there is an increased risk of death from LABA medications in asthmatics. It was these warnings which prompted me to submit this question, as I'm curious by what physiologic mechanism such medications could allegedly result in asthma-related death.
Answered by Dr. Jnikolla 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
international literature

Detailed Answer:
Hi again

I am speaking as a doctor according to the international literature. I didn't mean the situation in Albania but what is discussed all over the world in science medical circles about this topic,recently.

However the worning of LABA risk means that they are not the treatment for asthmatic patients.

Hope this info will help

Dr.Jolanda

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Jnikolla 37 hours later
Thank you for your reply Dr. Jolanda. In terms of the literature dispensed to patients in XXXXXXX even the short acting beta agonists present a mortality risk for asthma patients. From literature on the Pro Air HFA SABA inhaler albuterol sulfate (90 mcg per inhalation) - the first-line treatment for asthma in XXXXXXX - on possible side effects of such: "possible death in people with asthma who use to much PROAIR HFA." Where would I find out info on how such mortal effect might occur in asthma patients and how to avoid it?
Answered by Dr. Jnikolla 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Guidelines

Detailed Answer:
Hi there

I can reccommend you only serious medical sites which have provide asthma guidelines for all the patients in the world.

All doctors use these guidelines for asthma.

Europian Respiratory Society (ERS)
BRITISH THORACIC SOCIETY (BTS) XXXXXXX Thoracic Society (ATS) XXXXXXX

In the above you can find all about asthma medications, their benefits and side effects too.

Wishes

Dr.Jolanda
Dr. Jnikolla

Pulmonologist