• question-icon

Suggest treatment for broken toe

Posted on Wed, 19 Jul 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: What are sure symptoms of a broken toe on the left foot? I had surgery on the 4th toe close to 13 years ago to remove the "hammer-toe" look. I believe my podiatrist made an incision to remove the defective (middle) bone and then fused the remainder bones together. This morning I jammed that toe really bad as I stepped into the bathtub to take a shower. This toe hit the top of the bathtub and it still hurts. I can walk on it, but it hurts when I bend my foot. Right now I am applying ice and elevating it. I had more swelling this morning that I do now. There are no bone protrusions. Please advise: What are sure symptoms of a broken toe on the left foot?

It is the toe next to the pinkie toe.. Correction, not a hammer toe look, but a claw toe look.
Answered by Dr. Rudina Balliu 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
it doesn't seem to be broken

Detailed Answer:
Hello! Thank you for asking HealthCareMagic.
I have gone through your question and I understand your concern.
You mean the ring toe (the one next to the pinky toe)? right.

From the information that you gave, I don't think that your toe is broken.The swelling and pain is due to the trauma but not cause of a broken toe.

The symptoms of a broken left ring toe are:

-Swelling , pain , deformity of the toe ( if you touch you can feel the broke bones ) , bruising ( toe change the color) , unable to walk / difficult to walk , can't move the toe ( this could be a sign of a damaged ligament also).

I would advice to keep using ice and elevate the foot the first day , relax your foot. On the second day put warm compresses to help the healing process. Take a painkiller(eg. Tylenol) for the pain.

If you have problems moving the toe or the pain gets worse or not any better, it should be ideal to get it checked by any local physician.

Hope you find my answer helpful.
Let me know if you have any further questions.
I will be happy to help.
Take Care!
Dr Balliu

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Rudina Balliu 21 minutes later
Hello Dr. Balliu,

Thank you for responding. As of this moment, I can bend the ring toe downward with ease with my other toes. I can also gently move the toe upward with my other toes. I will apply warm compresses and Tylenol as needed.

Thank you so much!

XXXX
Answered by Dr. Rudina Balliu 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
That's good

Detailed Answer:
Hello again XXXX!

It sounds like the toe is without any serious damage.
Just follow the advices.

You are welcome, glad to have helped you.
Take Care!
Dr Balliu

Dr. Rudina Balliu