Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

136 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Suggest treatment for broken facet joint

Answered by
Dr. Saumya Mittal


Practicing since :2004

Answered : 2877 Questions

Posted on Mon, 9 Nov 2015 in Brain and Spine
Question: Hi I broke my C5 superior facet joint in may, there has been a little healing but has shown no improvement from August. My neurosurgeon is not very helpful in telling me the plan of action, he wants me to try flexion and extention xrays when I see him next week but I have previously not been able to do this due to pain around the fracture sight. Is the next case surgery? Also what kind of sugery if it is?
Answered by Dr. Saumya Mittal 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Do a CT

Detailed Answer:
He needs the x rays to differentiate between the non union and muscular complications of fractures.
You can assume by doing the x ray he is trying to decide the further plan of treatment that cannot be decided without the x rays.
Surgery is a possibility that has to be considered.
The option of cementing can be tried.

If you are unable to do the x ray request for a CT scan of the spine.
I have tried to make it as simple as possible. I hope that the information contained in this message will be able to help you find the best solution for your problem. Best of luck. Dr Mittal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Follow up: Dr. Saumya Mittal 7 hours later
I was unable to do Xrays so CT was requested last time, what would happen if CT still showed Non-Union?
Answered by Dr. Saumya Mittal 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Options are surgery based

Detailed Answer:
There are options.
We can go for resurgery with bone graft.
Or as I said previously, cementing.
Screws and plateS are another option.
But yes most options are surgery based.
Best of luck. Dr Mittal
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Lab Tests

Recent questions on  Ct scan

doctor1 MD

I am experiencing a partial vision loss - probably a TIA - what will happen when I go to the emergency room?? YYYY@YYYY

doctor1 MD

My father undergone Electrical cardioversion treatment due to having severe Atrial Fibrilation (AF). Needless to say the treatment did not work after 4 attempts and they have prescribed him various medications to control the rate of the heart. We...

doctor1 MD

I got real dizzy and kinda lost tempory balance and experienced double vision but only for 30 seconds, twice yesterday. I am in good health at 78 years old and very active. eat healthy, Take a staten and low dose blood pressure and lots of vits daily

doctor1 MD

Sir, My right side floating rib hits somewhere and I am having pain while moving side to side when I sleep. Feels like the rib is hitting some organs or the muscles where may be some inflammation. I have taken X-ray , gone through CT-Scan and Lever test and as per the direction of a hospital but they could not find out anything wrong. I am 53 year old.