Suggest treatment for broken facet joint

Dr. Saumya Mittal

Diabetologist

Posted on Mon, 9 Nov 2015 in Brain and Spine
Question: Hi I broke my C5 superior facet joint in may, there has been a little healing but has shown no improvement from August. My neurosurgeon is not very helpful in telling me the plan of action, he wants me to try flexion and extention xrays when I see him next week but I have previously not been able to do this due to pain around the fracture sight. Is the next case surgery? Also what kind of sugery if it is?
Answered by Dr. Saumya Mittal 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Do a CT

Detailed Answer:
He needs the x rays to differentiate between the non union and muscular complications of fractures.
You can assume by doing the x ray he is trying to decide the further plan of treatment that cannot be decided without the x rays.
Surgery is a possibility that has to be considered.
The option of cementing can be tried.

If you are unable to do the x ray request for a CT scan of the spine.
I have tried to make it as simple as possible. I hope that the information contained in this message will be able to help you find the best solution for your problem. Best of luck. Dr Mittal.
Follow up: Dr. Saumya Mittal 7 hours later
I was unable to do Xrays so CT was requested last time, what would happen if CT still showed Non-Union?
Answered by Dr. Saumya Mittal 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Options are surgery based

Detailed Answer:
There are options.
We can go for resurgery with bone graft.
Or as I said previously, cementing.
Screws and plateS are another option.
But yes most options are surgery based.
Best of luck. Dr Mittal