Suggest treatment for broken blood vessel in throat during seizure

Dr. Krunal Karade

ENT Specialist

Posted on Mon, 18 Aug 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I apparently broke a blood vessel in my throat last night while throwing up during a seizure. My throat hurt like the devil when I came to and the heavy thick mucus that was gagging me was dark. My throat still hurts (10 hours later) and is very red but there doesn't seem to be any more bleeding. Should I gargle with salt water? What signs should take me to a doctor?
Answered by Dr. Krunal Karade 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
If there is XXXXXXX red bleeding consult your ENT

Detailed Answer:
Hi ,
I have gone through your query .
As per your clinical history it appears that you had some trauma to your throat during seizure .
If I were your treating doctor, I would advice you chlorhexidine antiseptic mouthwash thrice daily than salt water & tab paracetamol for pain.
Consult your neurologist as soon as possible to prevent any breakthrough seizure .
If there is XXXXXXX red bleeding consult your ENT specialist as early as possible.

Hope this information helpful to you .If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.
Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Krunal Karade 23 minutes later
I will not be able to get out for several days because of the seizure and the only thing I have that you listed is salt. I will gargle with salt water. Is there anything that I should watch for?
Answered by Dr. Krunal Karade 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Watch for XXXXXXX bleeding & difficulty in breathing

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for follow up query.
Yes , you can gargle with salt water.
Watch for XXXXXXX red bleeding from throat & any difficulty in breathing .
Consult ENT specialist or GP as early as possible if XXXXXXX bleeding or any difficulty in breathing occurs.
Hope this information helpful to you .
Wish you good health.
Regards.