Suggest treatment for brittle splitting nails

Dr. Ivo Ditah

Posted on Mon, 29 Aug 2016 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: What causes split fingernails and how do I cure them?
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Kindly upload an image for review!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

Would be nice to get an image of this finger fro review. This way, your response can be personalized and helpful. Without seeing the nail and what the problem is, I am afraid I might just be providing generic information to you that wouldn’t prove helpful.

To upload an image, click on the upload icon to the right of your dashboard and follow the onscreen instructions. You may also send it directly to customer service at YYYY@YYYY and request that it should be uploaded to your query.

I hope to hear from you and promise to respond promptly. Until next, I wish you well.

Follow up: Dr. Ivo Ditah 11 minutes later
Did you receive the photo? I have also been applying nail hardner to the 5 split nails on the left hand--the nails on the right hand do not split. Let me know if you need anything further. XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 47 hours later
Brief Answer:
Repeated wetting of hands, chemicals, iron deficiency, etc.

Detailed Answer:

I have reviewed the photo. Thanks for uploading. I have reviewed the information and the possible causes are repeated wetting of the finals, use of chemicals, Iron deficiency, etc. I cannot tell for sure what the cause is in your case but would recommend that you get it examined by a doctor/dermatologist at your next regular visit. While fungal infection might cause this as well, the look of your fingers makes this highly unlikely.

Let me know what your thoughts and actions are with this added information.
Follow up: Dr. Ivo Ditah 4 days later
Dear Dr Ditah,
The 3 things you mentioned as causing the nails on my left hand to split, I don't see as being applicable to my nails, nor is there any difference between the treatment of my 2 hands, so as to only have the condition on 1 hand. What is the vitamin or mineral that may be lacking to cause my nails to worsen? The supplement that I am taking is 10,000 mcg of Biotin, but that has not cured the splitting.
Sincerely, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 19 hours later
Brief Answer:
Most cases do not have any specific cause!!!

Detailed Answer:

Am really not surprised that none seems to respond entirely to your worries. In most persons, we end up not able to pinpoint a specific cause and that’s the real worry here. Am not sure biotin would resolve this issue form previous experience but am at least sure it wouldn’t cause any further harm. If opportuned, I will suggest that you get a dermatologist on board for more insights as well.

Keep me posted.
Follow up: Dr. Ivo Ditah 46 minutes later
Thank-you for your responses--is there no nutrient--vitamin or mineral that would help grow strong healthy nails? There must be something wrong or missing. Is there another doctor that has an answer?
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 4 days later
Brief Answer:
The answer that I provided is based on my best knowledge

Detailed Answer:
As per my latest knowledge, I am unaware of any nutrients which can treat this problem. And further, I cannot transfer the question to another doctor here. You can post another query on the platform again if possible.