Suggest treatment for breathlessness, cough, wheezing and metallic taste in mouth

Dr. Shoaib Khan

Posted on Wed, 22 Jul 2015 in General Health
Question: I suffer with chronic SOB, cough, wheezing, copper taste. My Cat Scan shows resolved pneumonia, PFT normal, xray, normal. Per doctor.... no lung disease.... so why do my symptoms continue...resolved with Albuterol (temporary) or Steroids. (Not a long term option). I was discharged from the pulmonary practice. My symptoms did not go away with the doctors words... I am really lost... any suggestions would be appreciated
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Could be scar tissue, could be gradual improvement of immunity

Detailed Answer:
Hello ma'am and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help. I understand you are frustrated and confused and just want to find some answers along with relief from your symptoms. I would like to ask if a bronchoscopy was conducted?

This investigation helps investigate the inner part of the bronchi (respiratory tract). At times, along a lung disease has resolved it leaves behind scar tissue which results in narrowing of the respiratory tract and symptoms like SOB. I would thus urge you to get a bronchoscopy conducted, and if narrowing has been noticed then careful consideration of surgery can also be an option. But let us first find the cause.

Also, a mild amount of SOB, cough, etc; can be present for another few weeks despite resolution of the disease. But this is usually a duration of about 2-3 weeks, not more.

I would like you to know that you can feel free to write to me for any clarifications or discussion, I am here to help and only help with all the information I have.

Best wishes.