Suggest treatment for breathing problem in a person with COPD

Posted on Mon, 8 Jun 2015 in General Health
Question: My husband is having breathing problems which I believe may be due to mucus in this throat. He has numerous health problems including COPD. He had a four-way bypass in XXXXXXX which had complications with his lungs and they ended by stapling both lungs. He also suffered from a collapsed lung.
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Steam inhalation or nebulization should be helpful

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through the details. You well understand that the respiratory system of your husband, is in a compromised state. It is unable to clear the respiratory secretions adequately and hence the mucus. You can help by giving him nebulization with 2 cc normal saline a few times a day. A home alternative of the same would be steam inhalation in case you are not in a position to get a nebulizer.

If wheezing is present along, certain medicines like asthalin might need to be added to the nebulizer solution.

Hope that it helps.

Dr. Kunal Saha
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha