Suggest treatment for breathing difficulty

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 2 Sep 2014 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Question: Hi, Since last 3-4 days ,I was having severe gastric problem, due to which there was breathing problem & I could not sleep even after taking 0.25 mg alprax tab. Next morning ,I visited my cardiologist. My BP & ECG were normal. I was having a feeling that I shall die ,if I sleep,due to short of breathing.My cardio said that this may due to accumulation of Gas in the stomach /intestine. He prescribed the following medicine (1) T. Closed Plus(for anxity & tension) (2) T. Zolfresh 10mg( for insomnia),(3) T.Pazt DSR, (4) Sy. Ronidom (5) Laxitol (for motion). Second day after taking the medicines. my gas problem was solved & I had a good sleep without any breathing problem. But the after though there was no gastric problem , I was feeling short of breath in short intervals, & I had to take breath with some force. So I visited a chest specialist for consultation. He took a spirometry test(PFT) & said that I have no problems with lungs, it is that I am a smoker of 35years, causing problem in breathing rythem. He prescribed the following(1)T. Effenac 600 (2) T.Alerfix Total(3) Cap AB Phyllin. He also advised for Chest XRAy &blood test CBC & ESR. I am 67 years old, & want to quit smoking, My doc. has advised to shift to Nicotex 2mg, to replace smoking. I need an expert reply. I am taking all the medicines prescribed by both the doctors. Please advise me . Today I did not felt interuption or break in my breathing. I is normal since morning. Thanks.For how many days I have to continue with the above medication, please elaborate drugwise. Thanks
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Continue till your Specialists have asked you

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
With regards.

Thanks for an elucidate history and got relieved to know you are alright with these medicines and with consultations of the specialists in both the fields.

Nicotex 2 mg, to replace smoking is really good alternative to smoking and hoe can I really tell a person of your age what to do, you know the best....

Well, about your specific question. < For how many days I have to continue with the above medication, please elaborate drug-wise >>>

All the medicines have a combined effect together and are decided as per the symptoms and signs ( as seen by a Doctor).
Since this combination has helped you, please take all these medicines till your treating Doctors have advised you to take.

All these medicines can be changed or altered only on clinical evaluation by your specialist Doctors under whose care you have got a relief. Please do not alter them on your own or by advise of any other Doctor.

Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant 9 hours later
Thanks Doctor,but one thing that is troubling me is the use of anxiety drug & the sedative drug(Closed plus & Zolfresh). My doc has prescribed both for 15 days. Will these medicines lead me to addiction. My will power is not so strong, Even after taking all these medicines, sometimes the feeling of breathlessness comes in my mind for some seconds & when I try to divert my mind on some other things, it goes away. Is this a psychological problem developing in my mind.
Please guide me.
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Just decide to pare away the causative factor

Detailed Answer:
This is definitely a Psychological problem which has developed in your mind.

Closed plus and Zolfresh may not cause addiction so early. And you can obviously stop either of them whenever you feel you are comfortable for 3 continuous days.
Please think of the basic reasons which caused you this weakening of the will power and try to nullify those factors. It is always possible. There is nothing in the world which can stop you from doing or not doing something you want to do. And get stress-free.

The factor may be really very trivial which has caused this reduced will power. You may please discuss if you want.

Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant 30 hours later
Yes Doctor you are right. Today I visited the chest specialist with the chest xray & total blood count ESR report. Both the reports were normal. The doc. advised me to quit smoking & start nicotex if cravings are there. Please tell me what is correct for me. It has become too difficult for me to quit smoking at one stroke. What are the other alternatives. Thanks

Further he has told me to continue Effinac600 for 15 days. What is this drug's indication & contraindications, pl. tell me.
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
quitting smoking is not that difficult

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your feedback, Sir.

Quitting smoking is always a great thing to do.
Nicotex 2 mg is really a good alternative and helped many of my patients. And the best part is the need for Nicotex is reduced over the time to almost nil.

Another option is to just stop smoking and not taking Nicotex, this also is possible and what is there Sir, just give it a try, you may succeed.

I am sorry, I really do not know about Effinac 600 and could not get much on internet. Looks to be some sort of a tonic or immunity booster.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj